Use MIDI Designer Accelerometer to Control Synth Parameters
Here’s a cheaper (if you already own an iPhone) alternative to something like this…
This is a super fun way to perform / control different parameters in Ableton/whatever DAW you use. It’d be cool to take this live, however the latency (caused by WiFi, not the app) concerns me. Wifi is generally a bad medium for MIDI as there are so many other things that could be go through your network to slow it down. However the thing about Wifi is that a LOT of the latency has to do with the extra hop to the router. If you do an ad-hoc network, it’s mostly awesome. Latency is possible, but it’s almost never noticeable unless you have a large amount of interference. Hopefully we’ll see full Bluetooth MIDI arrive on iOS soon, in the meantime, this is still a pretty neat way to jam with your iPhone.
To set it up, add a control in MIDI Designer and double tap it to open its settings, go to Advanced tab > Accelerometer:
MIDI Designer iPhone App Accelerometer 3d midi fighter post
Assign a parameter in the synth you’re controlling to X and Y. You can also pick upside up or upside down to control up to 4 parameters – flip your iPhone upside down and you’ve got the other 2 controls. The accelerometer in the iPhone has pretty darn impressive precision, I’ve gotten some good results.
MIDI Designer Pro
by Confusion Studios LLC
MIDI Designer Pro
Dream, create and play your perfect MIDI controller with MIDI Designer:
● Reviewed and loved by DJ Tech Tools, Recording Magazine, Sound on Sound and Keyboard Magazine
● Winner of Sonic Touch Gold Award for Best App
● Trusted on stage by veteran touring acts like Todd Rundgren and newer projects like POSTYR and Groove Boston
● A studio cornerstone for music producers like Shadow Child and Oliver for tweaking tons of vintage gear
● Used by musicians, VJs and DJs all around the world
● Platform for community- and professionally-sourced layouts for top-flight gear (e.g., Korg, Roland, Casio, Moog and Yamaha)
If you can dream it, you can create it in MIDI Designer.
MIDI Designer Pro is the full, professional version of MIDI Designer for both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch.
MIDI Designer is the top choice for controlling ANYTHING via MIDI—from hardware synths to DAWs, lighting rigs to other iOS apps:
● Design your perfect controller using customizable knobs, sliders, XY pads, labels, panels and more
● Choose background color, texture and LED color for up to 8 banks of 6 pages
● Save, load and share your layouts and pages with other users
● Send and receive all MIDI message types, including sysex, NRPN and 14-bit CC.
● Connect any way CoreMIDI can: use Wi-Fi or hardware such as the Line6 MIDI Mobilizer II, iRig, iConnect, and others
● Use supercontrols and subcontrols to create simple and complex relationships between controls
● Full support for external hardware via the "Pedalboards Feature"
● Presets and other features make a mature, reliable platform for your future development
MIDI Designer is easy to use, infinitely flexible and customizable, and battle-tested in performance. It's the most-respected MIDI controller for iOS.
* * * * * dream | create | play * * * * *
The MIDI Designer Community has built layouts for popular MIDI targets, including:
● Akai: Miniak (= Alesis Micron)
● Cakewalk: Sonar
● CamelAudio: Camelspace, CamelPhat
● Casio: XW Solo Synth (XW-P1, XW-G1), Privia PX-5S
● Eventide: Pitchfactor, Timefactor
● Fractal Audio: Axe FX II
● IK Multimedia: Amplitube
● Jomox: MBase 11
● Kawai: K3m
● Korg: DSS-1, EX-8000, ElecTribe R (ER-1)
● Line6: Pod v2.0, Pod HD-500, DT-50 Series, POD X3 Live
● Moog: Animoog, Little Phatty, Slim Phatty, MF-104m Analog Delay
● Mutable Instruments: Shruthi, Anushri
● Novation: Bass Station
● Peavey: AT-200 Auto-Tune Guitar
● Roland: JX-3P (PG-200), JX-8P (PG-800), MKS-30, MKS-50 (PG-300), JD-990, VG-99, Alpha Juno
● Sonic Charge: MicroTonic VST (μTonic)
● Sonic Potions: LXR Digital Drum Synth
● Strymon: "Trio" (BigSky, TimeLine, Mobius)
● A Tasty Pixel: Loopy HD
● ValhallaDSP: ValhallaÜberMod, ValhallaVintageVerb, ValhallaFreqEcho, ValhallaShimmer, ValhallaRoom
● Waldorf: Blofeld, Pulse, 4-Pole
● Yamaha: S90
Find out more: midiDesigner.com
Daily updates on Twitter: @midiDesigner
Daily updates on Facebook: /midiDesigner
Community Layouts: midiDesigner.com/community