apeDelay - Implements up to 2048 Stereo Spectral Delay lines with Feedback. The algorithm is based on the STFT (i.e. Short Time Fourier Transform) analysis/re-synthesis. The audio signal is converted in abstract ‘Frequency Domain’, where is manipulated and transformed back again in ‘Time Domain’. You can draw three shapes for the Times, Feedbacks and Panning. This is achieved from the multi sliders, who provide a great tool to manage the huge numbers of parameters. You can also benefit of more advanced spectral manipulations like the Spectral Blur, Granulate, Bins Decimator and Freeze.
- Audiobus and Inter-App Audio support (sender and FX)
- Built In Stereo Sampler with varispeed and scrubbing
- Control Manager LFO for all the Parameters
- Midibus, Virtual Midi and Network: 14 bit NRPN controllers
- File Manager, sharing common audio files via iTunes, Dropbox and AudioCopy
- Snapshots Presets Morphing Pad
- Post Fx: Stereo Delay, Amazing ClassicVerb Low/Hi Shelving and Dynamic Processor
Famous drum synth from Waldorf arrived to iOS.
And this is the most powerful drum maschine and drum synth/sampler we have in iOS.
by Waldorf Music
Attack Drums is a synthesizer designed mainly for drum sounds, but the powerful sound engine can also be used for everything else - including vocals. Based on the Waldorf Attack VST PlugIn from 2001, it consists of a 24-part sound engine, now packed with a pattern sequencer and a versatile effects section.
One highlight of the effects section is the new Phrase Vocoder, a vocoder that uses written text instead of spoken words. Lyrics in - song out, adjust gender as you have always wanted!
Just like Waldorf Nave, Attack Drums is a seriously in-depth musical instrument - easy and fun to use, but a sonic beast at its core!
-Four independent effect slots with selectable effect:
-Polyphonic steps - up to 8 notes per step
-Fractional track/step timing
-Inter App Audio
-Export song to audio file
-compatible with iPad 2, iPad 3 (Retina), iPad 4, iPad mini (1,2,3), iPad Air (1,2)
-Minimum iOS 7.0 required
-AudioCopy / AudioPaste
-Content control via iTunes File Sharing
Popular music workstation from Korg arrived for iPad.
Key features: 100s of sounds, additional libraries available as IAPs, ability to import M1 libraries (google “m1 soundbanks”) and integration with Korg Gadget (iM1 is available as new device in Gadget).
by KORG INC.
A complete reproduction – and more - of the legendary M1 that defined an era
Mobile Digital Synthesizer for the iPad
Ranked #1 on the App Store on Top Paid Music category in more than 20 countries! (5/27)
Since it went on sale in 1988 the legendary M1 music workstation rapidly achieved record-breaking sales, becoming a mainstay of the music scene from the late 1980s and beyond. The common element of electronic instruments that have left their name in history is that they had a unique sound that was difficult if not impossible to replicate. Sounds such as the “M1 Piano” is instantly recognizable and have appeared on countless hit records over many years, and yet these are sounds that could only be produced by the M1. And that’s what you can now have on your iPad!
● A faithful reproduction of the original M1 Sound
The PCM data provides the library of the original M1. For the hardware, we analyzed the circuit diagram of the original design, and completely replicated it in software down to the last detailed parameters. Engineers with an exhaustive knowledge of the M1 made careful adjustments in order to obtain the sound of the original unit, something that cannot be obtained simply by sampling the original sounds.
● A continued evolution of the M1
Not content with simply reproducing the original, iM1 provides further evolutionary developments. Synth parts now have the Filter Resonance that was requested at the time of the original. The effect parts, originally consisting of only two effects, have been powered-up to 18 effects. The user interface has also been refreshed with additions such as a KAOSS pad. iM1 is the ultimate version of the KORG M1.
● A gigantic library encompassing 3,300 sounds and 34 cards*
In addition to all 19 of the ROM cards originally released for the M1, iM1 also covers the sounds of the M1EX which expanded the internal PCM of the M1, as well as the sounds of the T-series which appeared as an evolution of the M1. There’s also “BEST OF M1”, a selection of 100 great M1 programs. The new “Smart Sound Browser” makes it quick to find the desired sound. You can also view the sounds ranked by how often they are selected by iM1 users around the world.
*with all the expansion card installed via in-app purchase
● KAOSS pad lets anybody perform
iM1 features a KAOSS pad from the popular KAOSSILATOR, allowing you to perform intuitively just by touching the screen. By using the dual KAOSS pads to play phrases or adjust the sound, even people who are not accustomed to keyboard instruments or knowledgeable about synthesizers can enjoy performing the iM1. There’s also a conventional keyboard, as well as the “Smart Keyboard”, which lets you specify a scale setting and play phrases with a single finger.
● Use with KORG Gadget for song production
iM1 can be used together with Gadget, the music production DAW app that won the App Store Best App of 2014 award in Japan. If both apps are installed, you can use iM1 as a sound module within Gadget, taking advantage of the program sounds in iM1 for music production. iM1 also supports Audiobus and Inter-App Audio, so it can also be used for GarageBand etc.
● Connect a MIDI keyboard and use as a sound module
In addition to enjoying iM1 on its own, you can connect a USB MIDI keyboard* via a Lightning adaptor and play the iM1 as an external sound module. You can easily take along an even more powerful workstation sound module as part of your iPad-based compact mobile system.
*microKEY-25, nanoKEY2 etc.
● Interchangeable with the KORG Legacy Collection and the original M1
Sounds that you create in iM1 can be sent from your iPad via iTunes to a Mac/PC. If you have the Legacy Collection M1, you can use those sounds in a DAW. Data compatibility is maintained not only with the plug-in but also with the original M1; this means that you can transfer data in system exclusive format from the original M1. It’s a dream come true!
More info at korg.com
We’ve been waiting it for a long time. One of the best granular synths that is really easy to use but it used to lack some very crucial features like Audiobus integration and samples import without using iTunes.
Now everything is fixed and it is time to play.
What’s new in 2.0:
Audiobus Sender, Filter, and Receiver support
AudioShare import and export
Real time audio input recording and granulation
Gesture recording and looping for cloud parameters and positions
Save and load “scenes” – presets of clouds, sounds, and automation
Resonant filters for each grain cloud with per grain randomization
…and much more!
by Chris Carlson
Touch, transform, and explore sound with granular synthesis, a technique involving the superposition of tiny fragments of sound, or “grains," to create complex, evolving timbres and textures.
“The best app for exploring sound just got better... This is 'go out and buy an iPad to run it' good stuff.“ -Peter Kirn, Create Digital Music
“Borderlands has floored us. It is very rare that we find an app that is not only fun to use, but extremely useful. It is truly inspiring. The interface is stunning, the sounds are so evocative: they're a film composer's dream.”
Paul Hepker and Mark Kilian, Film Composers (Tsotsi, Rendition, Eye in the Sky)
“It’s beautiful, it’s absolutely great. It goes in a completely new direction. I wish software companies would make more [programs] like that for the computer and not only for the iPad.”
Christian Fennesz, Experimental Musician. Interview from Tiny Mix Tapes, May 2014
“When I first saw the demo video for Borderlands Granular in 2012, my jaw hit the floor. My first thought was ‘THIS is what making music on an iPad should be.’”
Sean Garland, iOSMars.com
"The pre-eminent ease of handling the application while it performs extremely complex realtime computations of granular synthesis is truly impressive and allows the user to concentrate fully, and in a very playful way, on the creative process."
2013 Prix Ars Electronica Jury for Digital Musics and Sound Art
Borderlands emphasizes gestural interaction over knobs and sliders. Create, drag, and throw pulsing clouds of grains over a landscape of audio files, or use the built-in accelerometer to sculpt sound with gravity.
Borderlands comes ready to play with default sample content included, but you can also load and export your own sounds via Audiobus, Audioshare, and real time input from the mic or external audio interfaces. Re-sample recordings made within the app on-the-fly for layers-upon-layers of granulation.
You can also improvise alongside the app - touches and parameters may be recorded, looped, stored, and duplicated. Entire configurations of clouds, sounds, and automation can be saved into presets, or “scenes,” that may be recalled at a later time, allowing Borderlands to seamlessly transition between the studio and the stage.
More information is available at www.borderlands-granular.com
Here’s another app that allows to transmit MIDI signals from iOS to Mac via USB cable with low latency.
Now it comes from highly respected group of developers. MIDI designer, MIDI Bridge and Secret base design (developers Bluetooth LE and WiFi MIDI transmition apps) have leveraged their efforts to make best iOS to Mac via USB solution.
Music IO: Audio and MIDI over USB
by Power Trio
Music IO: Audio and MIDI over USB
Music IO :: Audio and MIDI over USB between your iOS device and your Desktop DAW -- there is now support for both Mac and Windows. One easy-to-use, professional app.
Easily send audio from your iOS device to your desktop DAW using USB; Music IO lets you integrate Inter-App Audio compatible iOS synthesizers with a traditional desktop DAW system. MIDI is built in to Music IO too; everything you need, all in once place. It's simple, reliable, and near-zero latency.
Music IO is a joint effort by three of the most respected iOS music app development teams. Confusion Studios makes MIDI Designer Pro, the most innovative MIDI controller platform for iOS. MIDI Designer is adored by users, loved by Music Industry press, and trusted on stages and in studios around the World. Audeonic Apps makes the pioneering MidiBridge app, an essential tool for routing and filtering MIDI messages on iOS; they also provide the MidiBus software library, which powers dozens of successful music apps (including Music IO). The Secret Base Design team has built a range of pioneering apps providing high-speed MIDI and audio connections over Bluetooth LE and WiFi, as well as unique signal processing apps.
The three teams have joined forces to build the only fully integrated USB audio and MIDI solution that doesn't require additional hardware. It's been in development for months, from developers with decades of experience. Music IO lets your iOS device become an integral part of a modern professional music production system.
• Low latency audio from iOS to your desktop DAW, with crystal-clear 32-bit resolution. Native support for IAA allows for the best possible audio quality, and seamless integration with iOS synthesizers and effects apps
• Send & Receive MIDI between any CoreMIDI apps over USB (Lightning or 30 pin) with no perceptible latency nor jitter
• Large sysex messages (eg. bulk dumps) handled seamlessly
• Choose "send to" ports (OSX and iOS)
• Choose "receive from" (OSX): route MIDI from anywhere to your iOS device
• BridgeClock, a ground-breaking inter-device MIDI-clock-synchronization technology, provides jitter-free sync between platforms
• Music IO is designed to work with iOS 7 or newer, OS X 10.7 or newer, and Windows Vista, 7, and 8. Audio is transferred in 32-bit stereo. The PC client currently handles a 44.1khz sample rate, while the Mac can handle all sample rates.
Download the free, companion app and plug-ins from the the Music IO web site (musicIOapp.com/mac) and get connected in no time. See the demonstration video: musicioapp.com/vid120
Please let us know what you think and how you're using Music IO! feedback [at] musicIOapp.com
In addition to their FL Studio Groove (for touch-screen Win tablets) Image-Line has released iPad and Android version of their Groove Studio. It received same functionality as Win 8 app.
Though the user interface is very polished and nice looking (comparing to their FL Studio mobile which is disaster from the UX perspective) and the app has really good sounding samples and synth, it lacks of iOS-apps typical features: no AudioCopy or AudioShare (actually no samples import at all), no Audiobus/IAA, no iCLoud drive or Dropbox…
The only way to integrate it is to bounce your production into wav and export it via iTunes.
But nevertheless what the app does it does really good, so my score for it is 4 from 5.
Groove Machine Mobile
by Image Line Software
Groove Machine Mobile
Create professional sounding music in just minutes. Or perhaps you just want to lay down a percussion track and play keyboards over the top, you can do that too.
Online manual: http://www.image-line.com/support/GMMobileHelp/
About Groove Machine Mobile
Synthesizer: Load from the extensive library of bass, keys, lead, pad, sfx and synth sounds. The flexible dual-oscillator, wave-shape driven, design with filters, 3 envelopes and LFO architecture will ensure you can create fresh and unique sounds for years to come. Listen to the presets and you will know how powerful the Groove Machine Mobiles synths are.
Sample Player: Choose from over 20 multi-sampled instruments covering Piano, strings, organ, bass, guitar, flute, harp and more.
Drums & percussion: Punch out a beat on the 10 drum pads. The velocity-through-position feature will allow you to play with feeling to get the right groove. Layer two samples per-pad for complex sample mash-ups. A comprehensive library of percussion samples is included covering kicks, snares, toms, hats, cymbals, sfx and more.
Keyboards: Take control over the synthesizers with Groove Machine Mobiles two-tier touch keyboard, perfect for playing chords and melodies. The visual feedback will even help you to learn to play music just by watching the existing projects play.
Effects: A wide array of modern and classic effects are available including a Bit Crusher (for lo-fi gritty sounds), Flanger & Phaser (to create complex stereo washes and spacey effects), Filters (low, high pass & vowel-voice simulation), Delay (echoes), Reverb (to simulate the sound of large halls through to tight spaces), Panning (so you can spread your sounds across your speakers) and Ring modulation (creating screaming-feedback type sounds).
Sequencing: After recording a performance Groove Machine Mobile's touch-optimized easy editing features make it a breeze. You can edit in all the musical parts from scratch here too. The Piano-roll allows note entry and step-entry for percussion tracks. Finally, record and edit the movement of almost any knob or control with the Automation editor.
Now we’ve got advanced compressor app in the AUFX effects app series.
by Kymatica (Jonatan Liljedahl)
A highly tweakable stereo dynamics processor with noise gate, compressor/expander with external side-chain input, and limiter/clipper. From subtle compression, extreme pumping, to maximum loudness!
This app is part of the AUFX series, a collection of simple and powerful audio effect apps.
• High quality 32-bit DSP engine.
• Compressor/expander with optional lookahead buffer.
• Allows negative ratios for pumping/cancellation effects.
• Hard or soft knee with adjustable radius.
• Built-in side-chain low/high cut filters with monitor toggle.
• External side-chain input through Inter-App Audio or Audiobus.
• Built-in noise gate.
• Brick-wall lookahead limiter.
• Hard/soft clipper.
• Supports "parallell compression".
• RMS/Peak envelope followers with attack, release and hold time.
• Switchable between Linear and Logarithmic mode.
• Automatic makeup gain.
• Stereo link on/off.
• Process hardware input/output, or other apps through Inter-App Audio or Audiobus (input/filter/output slots supported).
• Save, load and share user presets.
• Supports Audiobus 2 state saving.
• Comes with several bundled presets.
• Fully MIDI controllable, including Virtual MIDI.
• Background Audio.
• Record the result directly in app.
• Email recordings or export to AudioShare audio document manager app.
• Access user presets and recordings through iTunes File Sharing.
This is something we haven’t seen before.
This app allows to stream audio over wifi between iPads and iPhones (any iOS devices). Supports Audiobus and IAA.
Audreio is an elegant solution for connecting devices in your music making process. Stream and record full bandwidth audio between iOS devices or iOS and desktop DAWs (running Audreio AU plugin).
No audio interface needed. Using your existing router over the local network (or via the standard device cable between iOS and desktop connections), Audreio streams audio from an Inter-App Audio (IAA) application on one device, the built-in mic, or a wave file to another device. The received audio can then be routed to the speaker, an IAA host, or captured to a file using the built-in recorder.
Audreio’s easy-to-use interface will have you streaming audio in no time. Simply select a device on your local network that you would like to send audio from, and you’re ready to stream. There are no IP addresses to enter and no complicated set-up to deal with.
• Audio streaming (via cable): Stream 32-bit audio between your iOS device and the Audreio plug-in running on a Mac DAW (e.g. Logic, Live, DP, Studio One).
• Wireless audio streaming: Stream 16-bit audio between other iOS devices running Audreio, or between a desktop DAW running the Audreio plug-in.
• Recorder: Capture the incoming audio from a remote device, an IAA app, or the microphone.
• Safe Record: When recording from a remote connection, the audio file will not have glitches even under poor network conditions where live streaming produces audible glitches.
• File export: Export recorded files via AudioCopy or iTunes file sharing
• Transport: Control playback and recording on a remote device and IAA host with the transport controls.
• New in 1.5: IAA effects hosting
• New in 1.5: Use another mobile device as an effect
Requires iOS 7 or higher.
Note: Reliable streaming of uncompressed audio over wi-fi depends heavily on your router and network conditions. Audreio provides a simple setting to control the relation between latency and streaming performance.
Live Looping app Loopy/Loopy HD allows you to change the duration of the loop you’re about to record using the bottom button in the Audiobus connection panel shown in the picture above. This is great because you can change loop durations on the fly in other apps. However, it doesn’t work with all apps…
…only supported in apps that are running an updated version of the Audiobus SDK (it’s a new feature of Audiobus: animated triggers). So, some apps that haven’t been updated in a while won’t show it. Hopefully that number will diminish over time, as they need to update to be iOS 7 compatible anyway!
Michael Tyson – Loopy Developer
This makes improvising with Loopy much easier, as you don’t have to constantly switch back to Loopy, and hunt through it’s settings panel, to change the duration of the loop you’re about to record – a common task when performing with loopers. This has made it difficult to use the app, but now that it’s not necessary I can see the iPhone becoming a legitimate portable looping platform for guitarists – which is crazy because you can literally, perform, anywhere. Live loopers are like instrument on their own – it takes some practice to be able to use the controls fast enough, and record your loops at the same time, but you really can perform with Loopy!
by A Tasty Pixel
As seen on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon -- Create music with Loopy HD by layering looped recordings of singing, beatboxing, or playing an instrument with a savvy, sophisticated, tactile new looper that totally reinvents the formula.
Now compatible with the Audiobus app: Now you can receive live audio directly from other Audiobus-compatible apps!
This is a looper that'll come out to play, but get down to work when you want to get serious.
While other music creation apps tend to be either powerful but difficult to learn, or easy to use but limited in features, Loopy doesn't compromise. Loopy offers a sleek, expressive, instantly understandable interface that beginners can start using effectively straight away. It's fun, right from the start.
More advanced users, however, will not be disappointed by Loopy's rich feature set, with extra features many other loopers just don't have. Plus, a sophisticated interactive tutorial system lets users discover Loopy's more advanced features at their own pace.
RECORD & LAYER
- Six, nine, or twelve beautifully rendered circular loops, with simple yet powerful controls.
- Count-in, count-out and record chaining lets you keep your hands free to play an instrument.
- MIDI control, to control Loopy via foot pedal or other controller.
- Overdub, to build beautiful, complex soundscapes from many layers.
- Support for tracks of any multiple or fraction of a beat, for flexible and expressive looping.
- Sophisticated audio or visual metronome to keep you in time - no matter what time signature you choose.
- Perfectly synchronized, low latency audio engine.
IMPORT & CONSTRUCT
- Import loops from your computer via iTunes, with support for AIFF, WAV, MP3, M4A, CAF and more.
- Bring in audio from many other audio apps with integrated audio copy and paste.
- Imported loops are automatically fit to your beat, no matter what tempo.
MANIPULATE & TWEAK
- Full stereo audio, with pan controls for each track to create custom stereoscapes.
- Fix up timing by twisting tracks around to line up the beat, or make funky sound effects with dynamic time shifting.
- Drag a track onto another track to merge tracks, and clear up a space.
- Live, dynamic tempo adjustment to speed up or slow down your creations, without altering the pitch.
- MIDI clock sync, to play in time with other MIDI-capable devices or apps.
PERFORM & SHARE
- Record whole performances with in-app session recording facilities.
- Upload performances or single loops straight to SoundCloud, and post to Twitter or Facebook.
- Email audio clips.
- Share audio with many other audio apps with audio copy and paste.
- Transfer loops or performances to your computer via iTunes.
Loopy is developed by one guy who loves making great apps, and who is dedicated to responsive development and support. Please contact me with questions, bug reports, feature ideas, and other feedback at email@example.com or http://forum.loopyapp.com. I may be able to fix your issue in less time than it would take to write a negative review!